Member Fee: £2200 Non Member Fee: £2200
This blended learning programme aims to develop and support trainers and educators in health care with knowledge and skills for delivering advanced communication and other soft skills training using evidence-based experiential teaching methods.
What will be covered?
- Core principles underpinning adult, professional learning
- Experiential learning: the challenges in teaching any ‘soft skills’ to experienced professionals?
- Key considerations for course design and delivery when using experiential methods
- Facilitation skills for creating and maintaining psychological safety and maximising learning
- Setting up and managing role play and other experiential teaching methods
- Working with group dynamic issues
- Applications: we will be accepting applications from now until the end of July 2022.
- eLearning module: if your application is successful, we will send you a link for this. The module takes approximately 2 to 3 hours and will need to be completed by 1 September 2022 to progress to the next stage of the programme.
- Online sessions: each meeting will have a theme and in preparation we will be posting material on our online learning platform that can be accessed at a time that suits you. The meetings will include discussion on the presentations, reading and reflective activities and each participant will be asked to contribute a microteach session on a chosen theme or topic. This part of the programme requires 80% attendance to progress to the workshop stage. The online session dates are:
- 28 July 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 8 September 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 22 September 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 20 October 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 17 November 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- Observation: all participants will have the opportunity to observe day 1 of a 2-day advanced communications skills training course (ACST) facilitated by a Maguire trainer. A variety of dates are available and can be accessed via Zoom. This element is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.
- 3-day workshop: 6, 7 and 8 December 2022 at The Christie NHS Trust Manchester.
- Assessment: A written assignment discussing key skills and principles for facilitation.
What else is included?
- Access to our Advanced Communication Skills eLearning module to refresh key communication skills and principles.
- Observation of a 2-day advanced communication skills workshop delivered by accredited Maguire trainers.
- The Maguire Handbook: a summary of communication skills research conducted worldwide over 40 years with a comprehensive guide to evidence-based communication skills and strategies.
- Maguire TTT Manual with sample course programmes, advice on course content and step-by-step guides to experiential teaching methods.
Who should apply?
You will have attended an advanced communication skills training course in the last 5 years or will have an equivalent qualification (e.g. Masters module, Counselling qualification etc.).
You will have a professional background in health or social care.
You will already be an experienced trainer or educator and this will form a significant part of your role.
You will be able to commit to approximately 20 hours online flexible study over 3 to 4 months and a 3-day workshop in Manchester followed by a written assessment.