Member Fee: tbc Non Member Fee: tbc
Due to the Corona virus outbreak, this course has been postponed.
How you investigate interpersonal communication in healthcare is largely determined by what lens you are looking through. This lens is shaped by the research methods and observation schemes you use, by your personal experiences with communication and also by your ideas about what constitutes high quality communication. In addition to how to formulate your communication research question and what research methods work best to answer various research questions, this PREACH course will also teach you how to become more conscious of all these aspects; this will increase both the quality of your research and the joy it brings.
Who Should Attend
The course is directed towards early career researchers in communication in healthcare, advanced researchers without experience in communication research, and healthcare professionals (eg physicians, nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists) with an interest in communication research.
This two day, non-residential course will be highly interactive, learner-centred and experiential. It will be facilitated by researchers with many years of experience in investigating communication in healthcare from different angles. After the course, these facilitators also offer individual, one hour booster sessions per month for six months to facilitate the transfer of what you have learned to your own research.
The course will be held in English and as much as possible will accommodate participants for whom English is not their first language.
The focus will be on how to investigate communication in healthcare in a ‘person-centered way’. As a result of this course, participants will be able to apply:
Knowledge in the forefront of:
- what methods are available for conducting research in communication in healthcare
- what type of research in communication in healthcare is appropriate for answering what type of research question
- how theories of person-centeredness have relevance for doing communication research
- ability to situate and ground own research project in theories of ‘person-centered’ communication
- ability to choose the most appropriate research methods for conducting ‘person-centered’ communication research
- ability to apply theories of ‘person-centered’ communication in discussing research results and implications
- can critically and constructively evaluate and discuss (own) communication research
- can apply the principles of person-centeredness in the design of communication research projects
- can explore ethical issues in the design of research projects and implications for undertaking research in communication in healthcare can identify and discuss theoretical, methodological and ethical issues relevant to person-centered’’ communication research
 Person-centered research is research that takes into account the personhood of study participants as well as researcher.
City Hotel Nieuw Minerva, Boommarkt 23, 2311 EA Leiden
3* hotel located just under a 10-minute (650m) walk from the University of Leiden. Business Traveller Package available when booking a Classic Room direct with the hotel, includes buffet breakfast, free cancellation, discounted room rate & free Wi-Fi
Date/Time 03 Apr 2020 - 04 Apr 2020 @ All Day